Thursday, March 24, 2011

Corner Bakery - Dallas: Preston & Forest

Party of . . . 3

Today Jake, my youngest, and I joined my MIL for lunch.  We were in between errands and Corner Bakery was a very central location.  I love anything that combines froo froo salads with baked goods! 

Jake and I enter and I must say standing in a queue and ordering is not kid friendly.  Once I was able to digest the menu (all 7 panels) I knew what I wanted.  however Jake was a different story!  Maybe I just didn't see it IN ALL THE WRITING but I couldn't find a kid's menu.  I asked the lady taking the orders and it is typical kids fare - grilled cheese, PB & J, Ham or Turkey sammys.  Jake was so not interested in any of those he just wanted a chocolate organic milk and a banana.  Finally he ordered himself a grilled cheese with fruit.  I got the 1/2 & 1/2 combo - a pretzel sandwich, so yummy to the tummy, and a ceasar salad. My MIL ordered the same combo but with a turkey sandwich and momma's chicken noodle soup.

On a side note - once Jake and I queued I was standing next to a lady who was in a motorized wheelchair and she started to ask me questions about the menu.  I was trying to help her out as best I could and as I was pointing something out she told me she cannot see.  I asked what she was wanting to eat and started reading the menu to her.  We told her to go ahead of us and order her lunch.  Clearly . . . I was vested in this lady.  I want you to know the Corner Bakery employees, especially this one young man, were so helpful to her.  Getting her tea, at the self service tea bar, getting her napkins, helping her to find the very best spot in an already crowded restaurant for her to be comfortable and have plenty of space.  I found myself, again, near her as there was only one booth left and putting Jake in a booth is the VERY BEST way to contain him!

On to the good stuff . . . the pretzel sandwich was so good - it had ham, a stone ground mustard, caraway havarti cheese, thinly sliced purple onions and tomatoes on it.  Every flavor worked perfectly.  As mentioned before got the 1/2 & 1/2 so my other half was a ceasar salad.  The salad has the perfect amount of dressing and the croutons had a kick to them that walked a fine line of gret and too much.  Both are a really good portion size and perfect for a lunch.  Jake, got his banana and chocolate milk but also the grilled cheese.  It looked like it was grilled on a panini, and had perfectly cut up fresh fruit, pineapples, strawberries, grapes, and melon.  I loved that it had good fruit and not just the cheap - no body wants it - melon!   My MIL, Margie, got the turkey fresco on asiago cheese bread!  It looked good!  It has turkey breast slices, 6 spinach leaves, marinated artichokes, roasted sweet balsamic onions, provolone cheese, and sun-dried tomato pesto mayo.  I considered asking for a bite!!!!   She also got the momma's chicken noodle soup - she said it was good but she could taste the pepper in it and she prefers not to eat foods with black or white pepper in them.

The best part of our meal experience is that the lady taking our order gave us some small cookies on the house.  Jake who not only loved his banana, his chocolate milk, his fresh fruit and grilled cheese especially loved his and my cookie!  The things we will sacrifice for the little boys in our lives!

Kid Friendly:  Yes & No - if you have more adults than children or have older children then YES YES YES.  If you are out numbered by young children (not in a stroller) than NO NO NO!  Give it time, Corner Bakery is going no where!
Cleanliness: Very and there was a nice lady that came by several times to help keep our table picked up.
Service: Great - Friendly - Caring
Cost:  $
How likely to go back: As soon as someone is free for lunch!





No comments:

Post a Comment