Friday, March 25, 2011

Houstons - Dallas: Beltline & Montfort

Party of 2

Ok - just to be up front . . . you will NEVER get a bad review from me for Houston's. I love it, my kids love it, my husband loves it, the MIL, FIL, sister, mother and just about everyone else I know LOVES IT!

Today my usual lunch date, Jake, and I had to stop in . . . why?!?!?  Because we love it!  See the theme?  The trick to not waiting 30+ mins is to know their schedule and I can say with absolutely conviction I know their schedule.  They open at 11 and that is a prime time to go for lunch.  If you cannot make the 11am slot then go at 1 - probably a 10 min wait then but nothing compared to arriving at noon!  If dinner is what you are after then go at 5:30 YES 5:30pm or closer to 9.  This one restaurant seems to be recession proof!

The crowd during the day is business men in button downs and ties and women "who lunch" and me!  I am usually the ONLY person in there with a child.  My children have grown up dining at Houstons wether it be in utero or sitting at the table.  The evening crowd is usually your "more established" wink wink couples.  The bar is always full and I don't know a single sole who walks away unhappy here.

Jake and I got our usual:  the Flying Chicken lunch platter.   I am not even sure if it is still on the menu as we always order the same thing and their menu changes from time to time.  The Flying Chicken lunch platter is the best chicken tenders in the world - listen up every other restaurant that serves chicken tenders - take a lesson from Houstons!  The chicken tenders are big, chunky and juicy friend in tempura batter which makes the batter light and crispy!  The platters comes with the some of the best fries I have ever had!  They are thin, semi crispy and  perfectly salted!  You can get a double order or order the fried and another side with your lunch platter.  Houstons offers a BBQ and Honey Mustard sauce - SKIP THEM!  Go for the hickory sauce - my personal favorite.  Jake gets water to drink and I get an un-sweet tea - it is bottom-less with the non-stop attention everyone gets from the team environment of wait-staff.  There is no "this is my area" the entire crew take pride in a job well done.  Jake and I are in and out in record time - we LOVE IT here!

Some of the other great food Houstons offers that I can recommend are the:
Hickory Burger - comes piled high with freshly grated cheese, chopped onions, Canadian bacon, hickory sauce and a nice size patty.
 Club Salad - it has the chicken from the Flying Chicken, or you can get grilled, eggs, tomatoes, bacon, avocado and mixed greens.  My personal favorite is the buttermilk ranch however my husband, MIL & FIL all love the 1000 island (now that they brought it back).
   ***   be sure to ask for your piece of cheese toast!
The Traditional Salad - is my husband's go to salad - it is basically the Club Salad but without the avocados.
Prime Rib - they do it better than anyone else.  Be sure to ask them to keep the hot au jus coming.
Rack of Ribs - simply awesome - great flavor and be prepared to lick your fingers.
SOUPS!!!!!  Some are seasonal but my favorites are Baked Potato Soup, Red Beans and Rice, Tortilla (better than the Mansion), Gazpacho, or the Mexico City Soup.

Sides and desserts are just as varied as the people coming into the restaurant - as previously mentioned . . . LOVE THE FRIES!, the cous cous is popular or the cauliflower - Fries have to be the top seller.  Desserts, for us, comes down to two categories . . . are you with chocolate people or fruit people and then the answer to dessert is easy  Warm Five Nut Brownie with ice cream or Apple Walnut Cobbler with ice cream - do not even waste one more second reading the rest of the menu.  Hardest decision of you day will be which one to get!

Houstons offers an extensive wine collection - you are sure to be please with whatever you drink.  I hope to see you tomorrow at 11.  I will be the blond with the children!

Kid Friendly:YES, if your kids are well behaved or don't mind nasty looks!
Cleanliness: Very, even the bathrooms. 
Service: Excellent
Cost:  $$
How likely to go back: See you tomorrow.




hillstone.com

No comments:

Post a Comment